Hotel Shelter

Gwalior Tourism

About The Gwalior

"The Hindus hold Shani (Saturn), in great awe and respect. In fact, Saturn is the only deity whose benign glance is believed to bestow prosperity, while a fierce look can cause unparalleled misfortune on the object of its attention."

GWALIOR FORT

Gwalior Fort is an 8th century hill fort near Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, central India. The fort consists of a defensive structure and two main palaces, Gurjari Mahal and Man Mandir, built by Man Singh Tomar. The fort has been controlled by a number of different rulers over time. The Gurjari Mahal palace was built for Queen Mrignayani. It is now an archaeological museum.

TOMB OF MOHAMMAD GHAUS

A saint of the Islamic faith of the 16th century. The stone carving for which the skilled artisans of Gwalior were justly famous is apparent in the huge panels of lacy screen work. The sandstone mausoleum of the Afghan prince, Ghaus Mohammed, is also designed on early Mughal lines. Particularly exquisite are the screens which use the pierced stone technique as delicate as lace. It is on the way to Gwalior fort near Hazira from Railway Station.

JAI VILAS PALACE

The Jai Vilas Mahal (or The Jai Vilas Palace), is a nineteenth-century palace in India. It was established in 1874 by Jayajirao Scindia, the Maharaja of Gwalior and is still the residence of his descendants the former royal Maratha Scindia dynasty. The European architecture of the palace was designed and built by Sir Michael Filose (known as Mukhel Sahib) under the guidance of Jayajirao. The palace has 400 rooms from which exclusively 40 rooms are transformed into Jiwaji Rao Scindia Museum. Two belgian chandeliers at Durbar Hall weighing 7 tonnes each are believed to be most gigantic in the world. Priyadarshini Raje Scindia is the patron and trustee of the museum.

GUJARI MAHAL

The Gujari Mahal lies within the Gwalior fort. It is considered to be a marvel of medieval architecture. The 15th century GujariMahal is a monument to the love of Raja MansinghTomar for his intrepid Gujar queen, Mrignani. The outer structure of the Gujari Mahal has survived in ana almost total state of preservation; the interior has been converted into an Archeological Museum housing are antiquities, some of them dating back to the 1st century AD. Even though many of these have been defaced by the iconoclastic Mughals, their perfection of form has survived the ravages of time. Particularly worth seeing is the statue of Shalbhanjika from Gyaraspur, the tree goddess, epitome of perfection in miniature. The statue is kept in the custody of the museum's curator, and can be seen on request.

SAS-BAHU TEMPLES

Sas-Bahu ka mandir, or Sahastrabahu Temple, is located to the east of Gwalior Fort. Built in 1092 by King Mahipala of the Kachchhapaghata (Kachchhwaha) dynasty, this temple is one of the greatest architectural marvels situated by Gwalior Fort. It is 32 metres long and 22 metres at its breadth. This temple mainly has three entrances from three different directions. In the fourth direction, there is a room which is currently closed. The entire temple is covered with carvings, notably 4 idols of Brahma, Vishnu and Saraswati above its entrance door.However, limestone erodes over time, and soon portions of the limestone fell, later spurring conflict as to whether it was a Jain temple or a Hindu temple. Then, Captain H. Kolar and Major J.B. Kint completely removed the limestone and restored the temple completely.

MAN MANDIR PLACE

Built between 1486 and 1517 by Raja Mansingh.The tiles that once adorned its exterior have not survived , but at the entrance , traces of these still remain. Within the palace rooms stand bare, stripped of their former glory, testifying to the passing of the centuries. Vast chambers with fine stone screens were once the music halls, and behind these screens, the royal ladies would learn music from the great masters of the day. Below, circular dungeons housed the state prisoners of the Mughals. Emperor Aurangzeb had his brother , Murad imprisoned , and later executed here. Close by is Jauhar Pond, where in the Rajput tradition, the Ranis committed mass sati after their consorts had been defeated in battle. At Man Mandir Palace, a poignant ambience of those days of chivalry and heroism still lingers in the silent chambers. A superbly mounted Son-et-Lumiere here brings it all alive every evening.

SURAJ KUND

Built in the 15th century, references to the Suraj Kund complex can be traced as far back as AD 425.Sage Gwalipa cured Suraj Sen of leprosy from the waters of this pond. It's very rare to see works of art all around a town. Gwalior is indeed one such. I was amazed to see fascinating carvings of stone in every street, every alley that I happen to cross. As I sank deeper, I realized Gwalior is not only rich in architecture but is equally brilliant in culture and Indian music too. Tansen (amongst Emperor Akbar's 9 Jewels) & Baiju Bawra (the master classical singer) hail from Gwalior. And so does sarod (Indian musical instrument) maestros Ustad Hafiz Ali Khan & his son Ustad Amzad Ali Khan.

KALA VITHIKA

Situated near the Gwalior Railway Station in the heart of the city, Kala Vithika is a good place to venture into if one wants some information on the history and culture. Kala Vithika is one of the prominent museums housing ancient instruments of the great Indian masters of history. The museum also has many paintings and portraits displaying the rich culture and history of the city. Under the guidance of sarod maestro Ustad Amjad Ali Khan, the ancestral house of the legendary Ustad Hafiz Ali Khan has recently been converted into Sarod Ghar. Constructed by Ustad Hafiz Ali Khan Memorial Trust, the museum is designed as per traditional Gwalior architecture.

GURUDWARA

Gurdwara Data Bandi Chorh Sahib, situated in Gwalior, is associated with the imprisonment of Guru Har Gobind Sahib in Gwalior Fort and his celebrated release in which he managed to win the freedom of 52 Rajas (Kings) who had long suffered imprisonment in the Fort. The word "Bandi" means "imprisoned", "Chhor" means "release". For further reading see Bandi Chhorh Divas. Pilgrims from all over the country visit this Gurdwara to pay homage to Guru Hargobind. During October/November, the worldwide Sikh Sangat (community) celebrates the safe return of the sixth Nanak, Guru Hargobind from detention from Gwalior Fort in about October 1619. The day coincides with the Hindu festival of Diwali , ("the festival of lights"). This concurrence has resulted in a similarity of celebrations amongst Sikhs and Hindus.

MEMORIAL OF TANSEN

Adjacent to the tomb of Ghaus is another small white, austere tomb. This is the memorial dedicated to Tansen, a famed musician, and one of the nine gems of Akbar’s court. Miyan Tansen is considered among the greatest composer-musicians in Hindustani classical music. He was an extraordinarily gifted vocalist, known for a large number of compositions, and also an instrumentalist who popularized and improved the rabab. He was among the nine jewels of the court of the Mughal Emperor Akbar. Akbar gave him the title Miyan (an honorific, meaning learned man). His contribution to the world of music is priceless and is still worshiped by leading singers and composers of the world. He is believedto be the father of Hindustani Music. More than a monument, this tomb is a part of Gwalior’s living cultural heritage. Each November Gwalior hosts a national music festival honoring Tansen and those inspired by his work.

SUN TEMPLE

Surya Mandir or Sun Temple in Gwalior is an exact replica of the famous Sun Temple of Konark, Orissa. It is a famous pilgrimage spot in Gwalior, dedicated to the Sun God. It is situated near the residency of Morar and is one of the newly built temples in the city. Constructed by G.D Birla (a famous industrialist of India) in the year 1988, the temple is built with delicate intricacy and skillful hard work. The exterior of the temple is built in red sandstone and the interiors is in pure white marble. The external walls of the temple is adorned with numerous stones carved that depict Hindu gods and goddesses.

SHANICHARA TEMPLE

Adjacent to the tomb of Ghaus is another small white, austere tomb. This is the memorial dedicated to Tansen, a famed musician, and one of the nine gems of Akbar’s court. Shani Temple in Shanischara (Gwalior) has its own importance in the temples of India. Its not only the oldest Shani temple in the world but the sculpture of Lord Shani is also special. According to the astrologers and the pandits this temple was built in the reigm of Samrat Vikramaditya and the statue over their is made of the meteoried fallen from the sky. Because the Shani temple is located at uninhabitated place thats why its effect is also special. In 1808AD Emperor Daulat rao Scindia Called a Jaagir of village “Ainti” and all the income from that jaagir was used for the maintenance of Shani temple of so called Gwalior State at that time.In 1945 the management of Shani temple of Gwalior state is handed over to Aukaf Board which was built to manage all the religious places of Gwalior State. At present Aukaf board runs under government of Madhya Pradesh In India.

TELI KA MANDIR

Contrasting with the predominant North Indian style of architecture is the Teli-ka-Mandir. This temple, built in the ninth century and Dravidian in form, is believed to be the oldest in the fort. Teli Ka Mandir is an ancient temple that is undoubtedly famous for its splendid architecture. Located in the Gwalior Fort complex, Teli Ka Mandir can be reached easily by taking local means of transport from Gwalior. The English version of Teli Ka Mandir is Oilman's Temple. Built in 11th century, Oilman's Temple is the oldest temple of the Gwalior Fort. Elevating to the height of 100 feet, Teli Ka Mandir is the tallest and most stunning temple in the confines of the Gwalior Fort. The temple is actually dedicated to Lord Vishnu in the form of his mount, Garuda. The colossal image of 'Garuda' (Mount of Lord Vishnu) is the major attraction of Teli Ka Mandir. This unusual image makes the circlet of the doorway, the highest structure in the Gwalior Fort. The term "Teli Ka Mandir" "Teli Ka Mandir" sounds as an unusual term, but it has several theories behind its name. According to one of the legends, Rashtrakuta Govinda III seized the Gwalior Fort in 794. He handled the service of religious ceremonies and rituals to Telang Brahmins and as a result of this, the temple acquired its name. Another legend says that oil merchants or the men of Teli Caste took the initiative of temple's construction. Due to it, the temple got its name. The third speculation reveals that name is linked with Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh. This revelation also approves with the synthesis of Dravidian and North Indian architectural styles.

Room Packages (Available on request)

  • EP (European Plan) :- Only Room Rent without Food
  • CP (Continental Plan) :- Breakfast Only
  • MAP (Modified American Plan) :- Break Fast with One Meal (Lunch or Dinner)
  • AP (American Plan) :- Break Fast and Full Day Meal (Lunch and Dinner)

Make a Reservation Click here...